Case Study 1 - Project Management across Multiple Projects
A large private company was struggling with receiving timely reports from its project managers. CE was asked to review all existing projects and “project manage” the project managers.
CE discovered through a simple management process that there was a lack of communications between the project managers. They were all so busy doing what needed to be done, they didn’t have any time to get together; even informally around the coffee machine. By organising a couple of simple but regular meetings, the total number of projects was cut down from 26 to 19 and the members of those 7 redundant project teams were re-allocated to other projects that needed extra resources and bringing forward the completion date of many projects at no extra cost to the organisation.
In fact, we found that some of the projects were effectively doubled up but nobody realised because they were ‘just too busy!’
Case Study 2 - Management Restructure
With the retirement of one of the senior partners in a reasonably large legal firm in Brisbane, the Managing Partner needed to take over some of the admin tasks that the existing partner was previously responsible for. CE was invited in to see if there were any simple improvements that could be made to simplify existing practice and speed up the time taken performing administrative tasks.
After an initial workshop with key stakeholders, CE identified that the greatest benefit could be gained by re-designing their debtors’ processes. In a short period of time (only 2.5 weeks) we implemented some simple adjustments to their existing IT systems, trained key personnel in the new methods and turned their billing process from the current time-frame of 12 hours per week to a simplified process taking 3 hrs. With the new process taking ¼ of the time, the managing partner was free to investigate new business opportunities that she had always wanted to look into but had never had the time.
Case Study 3 - Simple HR CE Bricolage Project
During the research into our product, CE Bricolage, we ran a simple project on the human resources in a specialist Engineering firm. Our aim was to validate our methodology around Bricolage in the HR as an Asset space.
As a test we evaluated their staff to identify any similarities in their hobbies and non-work related skills. We CE discovered that 4 of the staff members were amateur pilots. At the time the information seemed irrelevant but when we took our report back to management with the results of our research, the conversation became very interesting. It transpired that the company had been marketing to a particular airline but had been unable to ‘close the deal’. With the introduction of their staff with flying experience to their sales staff and the customer, a new level of conversation was opened that resulted in the firm closing the sale.
That customer relationship has grown to be a substantial part of the overall success of our client.
Case Study 4 - Addressing Backlog of Tier 1 Telecommunications Billing Services
Our client, one of the two Australian Tier 1 Telecommunications companies, had the contract to provide billing services to entire Queensland Government. This entailed getting the accounts from the various providers for numerous services (eg. voice, data, fax, email, landlines, mobiles, satellite) and for all Government departments. Then breaking down these accounts before re-building them so that each ‘end' (telecommunication devise) could be monitored and charges could be applied to relevant cost centres.
Our client contacted us as they had a problem that was both process and data relate. The service level agreement called for monthly delivery of the re-built accounts, however their process to complete the re-build cycle was taking approximately 6 weeks. This left them falling two weeks behind every month with a substantial growing backlog.
Our challenge was to analyse (identify the inputs, processes and outputs), design and implement improved processes, recruit, train and manage the project.
Within a short time the efficiency of the ‘billing re-build’ cycle was stream-lined so that the time was reduced from six weeks to less than 3 weeks. Utilising continued improvement strategies this was further reduced to about 2 weeks. The back-log was cleared in about 8 weeks.